My practice is deeply rooted in examining how the viewer approaches a painting, inviting them not to look, but to see. The scale and nature of the paintings encourages a private, voyeuristic experience of the erotically banal or the surreal.
My paintings are tactile, playing a game of push and pull with the viewer who may at first want to reach out and touch or get sucked into the image but is then confronted by something abject. This game of the simultaneously repellent yet alluring gives the paintings a filmic quality.
Small paintily details and textures reward the viewer as they approach the painting ever closer, drawing them in like the markings in a flower entice the bee.
These “Surface Views” explore surface through form, inviting the viewer into a personal space in order to contemplate memento-mori through urban decay. Where nature attacks the city, we are reminded of the transient beauty and the poetic beauty of imperfection.
My paintings playfully challenge our expectations of the urban environment and investigate the psychology of space. With attention, the most ordinary details can become magical or disturbing observations.
I’m currently taking part in the Turps Painting Programme and I graduated from Wimbledon College of Art, University of the Arts, London in 2010 with double First Class Honours in Fine Art: Painting
Please contact me through the contact from if you are interested in purchasing or commissioning some artwork or would like to make an appointment to view my studio. Any interested buyer is invited to view works personally or to request more photographs to be sent by email.
Also email me your comments, these are always very welcome
Fiona Long Artist CV
• 2014-2015+ Turps Banana Studio Painting Programme
• 2010 1st Class honours (practice and theory) BA Fine Art Painting, Wimbledon College of Art, UAL
• 2007 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design; Kensington and Chelsea College; Distinction
• 1999 BSc (Hons) Psychology; University of Wales, College of Cardiff
• Orange & Green II, Skills for Sustainable Futures, 10 week residency in Cordoba, Spain, 8 April – 15 June 2013
• A “Place Exploration” run by the Mobile Institute at the Kurt Schwitters Merz Barn on the Cylinders Estate, Lake District. Sept 2011.
• Formal Paintings of Informal Sculptures – residency, Market POST, Tooting, April-June 2011
• Mini-residency by Figure Ground aboard lightship LV21, Kent, March – April 2011
• ‘Whisper’ Residency at the Chinese Arts Centre, Manchester, August – September 2010
• Cultural Exchange to Japan at Tokyo Wonder Site with Prof Chris Wainwright, Head of Chelsea, Camberwell and Wimbledon Colleges of Art, 22nd July – 16th August 2009
• Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, 8 June – 16 August
• Turps Spring Show, Number 4A Gallery, Malvern, 24 April – 15 March
• Turps Interim Show 19 – 22 March
• Springboard, Selected work from Chelsea, Camberwell and Wimbledon graduates who’ve worked with the colleges’ global partners, Cookhouse Gallery, Chelsea College of Art and Design, 11-17 November
• Canalology, One day site responsive arts festival exploring the canals of Tottenham. Arts Council funded. Tottenham, London, 3 May
• Tottenham Takeover, V&A Presents Friday Late, Canalology, POST Artists, 28 March
• Cascades: past, present, and future, Art Licks Weekend, Studio 180, Lambeth, London, 3-6 October
• Refugio Hoo Ha, Escuela De Atre Dionisio Ortiz, Cordoba, Spain, 6 June
• FACK! West London Art Prize 2013. Shortlist exhibition. Griffin Gallery, London, 6 June – 11 July
• OPEN PLAN: Ordinary, altMFA and RCA Sculpture group show at Departure Foundation funded exhibition at 55 Gracechurch Street, London, 21 March.
• OPEN PLAN: Nomadologies, altMFA and RCA Sculpture group show at Departure Foundation funded exhibition at 55 Gracechurch Street, London, 28 February.
• OPEN PLAN: Strategies & Tactics, altMFA and RCA Sculpture group show at Departure Foundation funded exhibition at 55 Gracechurch Street, London, 3 February.
• Pigeon Scaring, commission for Conjunction 12: The Art of Survival. Stoke on Trent Biennial, 05 Nov-02 Dec
• News From Nowhere, Merton Priory Chapter House Museum, 29 September – 07 October
• Microcosm, Departure Foundation, Ellington Building, Leeds, 15 June – 15 September
• The Artist, Hatch Space, Deptford, Deptford X, 27 July – 5 August
• Ori: an ancestral reunion of the gods, Brick Box Brixton, Brixton Splash Festival 3-5 August
• Royal Academy Summer Exhibition 4 June – 12 August
• Sculpture Show at Construction Gallery, 21 – 25 March
• The Chaos of Memories, Tabernacle Gallery, 17 – 22 Jan
• Post Script, Merton Priory Chapter House, 8 – 16 October
• Broken Telephone – Exchange Project Space, Hackney Wick, Thursday 1 Sep
• Evicted, house exhibition, Tooting, London, 23rd July 2011
• Last Day, Market POST, 20th July 2011
• “I’m in the heart of Tooting at the moment”, Market POST 25th June – 2nd July 2011
• Tooting Pound Shop, Market POST, Tooting, London, 13th – 23rd June 2011
• Exchanges, Market POST, Tooting, London, 13th – 22nd May 2011
• Darling Buds, Parlour Project Space, Camden, London, 5th – 10th May 2011
• Economies of Resistance, Market POST, Tooting, London, 1st May 2011
• LV21 Site responsive, collaborative art exhibition and event on lightship LV21 in Gillingham, Kent April 20th 2011
• Q Art London Presents II, APT Gallery, Deptford, London, 18th – 28th November 2010
• Rhizomatic, Departure Gallery, Southall, London, 1st October – 12th November 2010
• Morphic Antonyms: Open Studio, Solo show, Chinese Arts Centre, Manchester, 24th -29th September 2010
• Association, Castlefield Gallery, Manchester, 22nd – 23rd September 2010
• W.A.V.E. 2010 Borders and Edges , Wimbledon Space, 10th Sept – 8th Oct 2010
• ‘The Crocus Opens’, Crocus Gallery, Nottingham, 8th September – 2nd October 2010
• Degree Show at Wimbledon College of Art 17th-23rdJune 2010
• Away Day, site responsive art event in Wandle Park, Colliers Wood by Post Artists 29th – 31st May 2010
• Propositions at the ICA, one of 9 past and present Wimbledon College of Art students selected by Terry Smith to take part in a 1 day art event at the ICA 9th May, 2010
• Park ’10, Site based art exhibition at Cannizaro Park, Wimbledon, 7th – 10th May 2010
• Nohers Arcade, solo show, Brand New Space, Wimbledon College of Art, 2nd – 4th March 2010
• Place/Displace Tokyo/London group show of work inspired by the cultural exchange to Tokyo; Wilson Road, Camberwell College of Art, 18th-24th Feb 2010
• As The World Turns, house exbition, Tooting, London, 28th November 2009
• Drawn Cut Torn; selected as one of the 10 showcased works in the “curator for a day” section of the exhibition Tuesday 2nd November 2009.
• Drawn Cut Torn; exhibition of the drawings from Terry Smith’s event Draw Cut Tear last year. Wimbledon Space 29th October – 27th November 2009.
• Mind The Gap: Bringing Depression Above Ground, WAM Group Show, The Crypt Gallery, St Pancras Parish Church, London, 3rd – 25th October 2009.
• Paintings by Fiona Long, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital 30th September – 10th October 2009.
• “Lost Ball Tree” Site specific installation at the Change For Life Festival at Morden Park. 31st August 2009.
• “Waste” group presentation at Tokyo Wondersite. 3rd August 2009.
• Apocalypse Now, Red Wire Gallery, Liverpool, 24th July – 8th August 2009.
• St. Barbe Open Exhibition, St Barbe Museum and Art Gallery, Lymington, Hampshire, 11th July-8th August 2009.
• Art for L’Aquila charity auction and art exhibition at the Italian Cultural Institute, London with Bloomsbury Auctions. 2nd July 2009.
• Imaginary Geometries, Chelsea Gallery, London 29th June-6th July
• Catch by the Eye, Save in the Heart, 3 Bedfordbury Gallery, Covent Garden, London, 2nd-8th June 2009
• Post Consumer Material Culture: End of year show, Wimbledon College of Art 25th-29th May 2009
• PARK ’09; site based exhibition at Cannizaro Park, Wimbledon; 15-18th May 2009
• Telephone Box Galleries: Balloons. Show at Wimbledon College of Art showing the public’s reactions to the site based installation. In collaboration with Nichol Keene. May 5th
• Telephone Box Galleries: Balloons. Site based installation in collaboration with Nichol Keene.25th April 2009.
• After Day X; Solo library display, Wimbledon College of Art, 30th January-20th March
• Big Bad Scene, Bedroom Bar, Shoreditch, London, 5th March
• Deutsche Postbank Exhibition, Deutche Postbank, London, February-August 2009
• Spirit of Romance, Eaton Terrace Gallery, Belgravia, London 26th- 30th January
• Five Day Projects, Fin, Wimbledon College of Art, London, 28th November
• Five Day Projects, Suspense, Wimbledon College of Art, London, 27th November
• Five Day Projects, Conversation, Wimbledon College of Art, London, 25th November
• Deutsche Postbank Exhibition, Deutche Postbank, London; August 2008-February 2009
• Art For Youth; The Mall Galleries, London; 7th-9th October 2008
• Aujourd’hui; Selected foyer show at Wimbledon College of Art; October 2008
• Representations of Identity, The Women’s Art Movement; Islington Arts Factory, London; 8th August – 5th September 2008
• End of Year Show; Wimbledon College of Art, London; May 2008
• Catch by the Eye, Save in the Heart; Artspace Galleries, Mayfair, London; 4th-11th May 2008
• State of the Art Competition Exhibition; Royal College of Art, London; 17th March 2008
• Art For Youth; The Mall Galleries; 9th–11th October 2007
• End of Year Show; Kensington and Chelsea College, London; 20th June 2007
• Ritzy Art Fair, The Ritzy Cinema, London, 25th November 2006
• Remembrance; Unofficial site specific artwork outside the Tate Modern, London; 11th November 2006
• Tommy Johnson Portrait Unveiling; Regency Hotel, Jackson, Mississippi, USA, 20th October 2006
• Art For Youth; The Mall Galleries, London; 10th-12th October 2006
• Brompton Oratory Art Fair; Brompton Oratory, London; 7th September 2006
• Centre Group of Artists Exhibition; Lyndhurst Community Centre, 31st May-5th June 2006
• Catch by the Eye, Save in the Heart; Marie Curie Building, Warsaw, Poland; August 2004
• Catch by the Eye, Save in the Heart; Menier Chocolate Factory, London, April 2004
• Woolgather’s Art Vend, Project Catalogue, 2015
• a-n Degrees unedited May 2011
• Borders and Edges, W.A.V.E. Exhibition Catalogue, 2010
• FringeMK 2010 Painting Prize catalogue
• Wimbledon Degree Show Catalogue 2010
• Propositions to accompany the Propositions exhibition at the ICA, 2010
• On Site Lab 2009+Vacuum Fluctuation+Is it waste?, Tokyo Wondersite, 2009
• Liverpool Art Journal, August 2009
• Shortlisted for the Bar Tur photography award in the “Lifestyle” category 2010
• FringeMK 2010 Painting Prize catalogue finalist
• Finalist in the London Calling juried competition for myartspace.com 2009
• Winner of Merton photography competition, run by Merton Council May 2009
• Finalist in the State of the Art competition for the Princes Trust held at the Royal College of Art 2008
• Shortlisted (1/3) for the Peter Stanley Memorial Award 2007